03 June 2010

The Right to Discriminate

Yes, I know. Just like the word "welfare," the word "discriminate." has negative connotations. So what. I'm talking about broader definitions and meanings before these negative connotations were assigned.

Do you discriminate?  I do...all the time. You do too.

Whenever we make decisions we discriminate. I discriminate against American or German cars because I prefer Japanese ones. I discriminate against hiring people that I perceive to be lazy or unable to perform a job. It happens all the time and the freedom or right to do so makes our lives richer.

The reason I'm bringing this topic up is because of Rand Paul's comments and the media spinning his comments waaaaaaay out of context. This is what the liberal media likes to do. It's their forte. Have you hear much about Obama's inept handling of the oil spill? Nope, at least, not in comparison to a right wing / libertarian saying that "..yeah, I'm not in favor of any discrimination in any form."

Walter Williams, a professor at George Mason University, spoke up in defense of Rand and of discrimination. Why? Because the federal government, really, doesn't have the power to tell someone what they can or can't do in a privately owned residence or business.

Oh, and if you're thinking to yourself that Mr. Williams is probably a white supremacist, you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that he's black. I personally wouldn't have cared either way, but I wanted to preempt a pre-judgment, just in case.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.