19 April 2010

A Good Point

I received this in email..

We are the only country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations, ships and planes lining up with food,water, tents, clothes, bedding, doctors and medical supplies. Imagine if we gave ourselves the same support that we gave other countries. I feel bad for them, but who cares about America.
It makes a good point.

I'm going to go off topic a bit because I recall several media outlets complained that America didn't respond fast enough, didn't respond with enough for Haiti. To them and to all you MoFo's out there that think that America, as the richest nation, should lead and help you in your time of need...Fuck you.


Every time there's a disaster we're criticized for not leading the aid effort, then for leading the effort. I'm tired of my country leading the world, dealing with other nations' problems, and getting spat on for our charity. When some 3rd world country asks for help, we are criticized for being slow or not sending enough. It's not an easy task. When it's time to leave and take our expertise and equipment, we are cursed for depriving them of needed aid. Pay for it or fuck you.

When my government decides to spend money (my/our tax money) on giving aid to other nations which I may or may not agree with, there is a moral conflict. If my neighbor wants to help the people of Haiti, that's fine. That's what a donation to a charity can do. If I disagree and think the people of America need help, I can do the same with a charitable donation. BUT, to take taxes, which we are in dire need of, and are meant to help Americans, and send it to another country is simply wrong. If congress and the president wanted to send money, they could have dug into their pockets and passed the hat around. It's contemptible how easy they spend other peoples' money. Fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.