10 May 2010

The Tea Party is Making Its Presence Felt

A coworker, let call him Prosciutto, and I got in a friendly back an forth about the amount of impact the Tea Party is having. He feels the TP is filled with angry, racists and Palinistas. I agreed that the TP does have those people and may front Palin a lot more than I'd like, but I tried to remind him that there are also, paleo-conservatives, Ron Paulistas, Libertarians, and centrists that make up a large percentage of the party. I believe he's focusing on the 20% (80/20 Principle) and he agreed that they are the ones the media is setting their focus on. I told him that a lot of people have become distrustful of the media and they are going to see what's what at these TP rallies, and the TP is made up of everyday people who are just pissed off with the current political system, the bailouts, the fiscal irresponsibilities, and the lies of change.

What set off this argument was this article on CNN. A three time incumbent senator lost the Republican nomination. The two remaining candidates will have a run-off. The probable reason why he lost? He voted for the bailout and "he has also come under criticism for working with Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, last year on a health care overhaul proposal, his pursuit of earmarks, and his votes supporting an increase in the national debt."

Good.

The chickens are coming home to roost, boys and girls! I point to this result and the election of Massachusetts Sen. Brown as evidence of things to come. The people don't want health care, they don't want bailouts or TARP or any of it and neither Dems or the current batch of Republicans are doing anything to help. It's time to get them out and put in the representatives that do our bidding.

Sadly, Prosciutto, thinks the TP is nothing more than a blip. I don't. It's going to affect politics for the next 4 years, at least. I told him to mark my words that when this election cycle is finished, you'll see several TP supported candidates in office. This posting will be my permit to nyah-nyah at him when I'm right in several months time.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Too awesome. I hope that TP -will- shape things in the near future, but I'm afraid that either it won't be enough or it will take quite awhile for the ship to steer in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear what you think.