28 October 2010

What I'm Reading: The Great Gatsby


The Great Gatsby

I read this book in high school, and I thought I'd reread it with a different set of eyes. This is supposed to be one of the great modern American literature books. I wasn't bowled over when I read it the first time, but I suppose I might this time.  I know this book is chock full of symbolism that I'm supposed to dissect and enjoy, but honestly, my last reading has tainted me. I guess that makes me shallow.

I just want to read this book and hope to find some enjoyment. If, while I'm reading, I happen to glean some insight, then great, but I don't intend on spending a couple of weeks examining each chapter in detail and writing expositions on them. No sir. I have new books sitting around waiting for me. While I probably will miss out on this timeless work, I don't think it will change my viewpoint like some of the recent books I've been reading.

Favorite line so far: Preface - "The Great Gatsby is a classic - a novel that is read spontaneously by pleasure-seekers and under duress by students."

Let's hope this time around it's pleasurable.


UPDATE:  I didn't enjoy it. I admit that re-reading brought back memories of the discussions I had in class, but aside from a little nostalgia, I couldn't get into it. The characters are real enough, the problems are real enough. I didn't care for the symbolism. If I didn't read this book ever, I don't think I'd be missing out. This book really does belong in a classroom and nowhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.