18 October 2010

What I'm Reading: Life of Pi

You may have heard of this book. It's been on the NY Times bestseller's list and has won a few awards.


This is the story of a castaway, Indian boy and a tiger on a lifeboat. Pi is a zookeeper's son, a Hindu, a Christian, and a Muslim. He uses he knowledge of animals to work out a way to survive with a tiger on a lifeboat after the ship they were on sank.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn't dry and it was a relatively quick read. As you can imagine, the role of religion in this story is ever present but never seems to weigh things down. It does inspire some thoughts on the role of zoos and religion. I also thought that the author was influence by Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. The story was humorous at time and at others, a tragedy. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Publish Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.