08 March 2010

How to Treat a Fever

My daughter had a fever today. I wasn't too concerned. Don't get me wrong; I'm attentive, but this wasn't her first fever and she handled the last one pretty well. My wife is of the mind to give her tylenol or motrin as soon as she detects a fever. I'd rather she let the girl fight the fever naturally, or at least until bedtime. Understandably, the wife wants to comfort her. I want the girl's immune system to build up. A fever is the body's reaction to fighting something internal. I get this, but the wife thinks the girl is going to end up like Hellen Keller. I must have forgotten that Hellen Keller developed her condition because of an extreme fever. Well, when she put it that way, I can understand, but I still want some time pass in order to strengthen her body. I believe that a lot of people get sick easily is because of over-dependence on medicine and antibiotics. My wife is like that. I'm the opposite with the immune system of an ox. Later when I let my daughter play, I'll let her get dirty and put dirt in her mouth...like kids are supposed to do; too many "helicopter" parents these days -- hovering around and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.