20 March 2010

Ocean Cooling Pumps

The fine folks at SmartPlanet via Gizmodo, have a video on an ocean cooling pump that may be able to reduce the strength of hurricanes. Now, as you all know, Florida is near and dear to yours truly, and anything that takes the bite out of these storms is ok with me. I'd like to see some studies and tests done of course. The last thing we want are unintended consequences like screwing up the gulf stream.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to tell you that I've sat out hurricanes and/or left my home to go to the nearest storm shelters. Don't screw around with these things. One of the things that pissed me off about Katrina in '05 was the general lackadaisical behavior of Louisiana residence, and the specific idiocy of New Orlean-uh's. You see, Mississippi received a large punch from that storm as well, but we didn't hear much about them because they un-assed the area. N.O. was just slow to react, slow to respond, and then their mayor and governor decided to make political hay out of the matter. If you decide to wait out the storm in your house, that's fine, but be prepared for the furies, and don't go asking for help, when you knew that you should have gotten out of there long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you think.